The information on these pages and through the interactive house guides gives an initial indication of whether formal planning permission or Building Regulations approval is needed. The advice given is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information.

The Planning Portal website also provides further guidance on whether planning permission is required.

Given the complexity of regulations and guidance, it is strongly recommended that those seeking to exercise their permitted development rights (under the General Permitted Development Order 2015 (as amended), apply to the Council for a Certificate of Lawfulness for a formal determination as to whether their proposal is lawful.

It is also recommended that independent professional advice is sought prior to making a submission for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

Do you need Planning Permission or Building Control Consent?

Use the interactive guides to find guidance on the building work or projects you have in mind. The interactive terraced house is for guidance relating to flats, shops & basements as well as many other common householder projects.

Interactive semi-detached guide


Terraced house interactive guide

What are the next steps?

When you have read and considered the guidance around whether or not you need planning permission or building control approval you have a few options of what to do next

For proof that your building work is lawful and doesn't require planning permission, you should apply for a Certificate of lawful development.

If you project does not qualify as permitted development you will need to submit a planning application and or make a building regulations application.

If your project passes the permitted development tests you do not need to apply for planning permission and you may decide to go ahead with your project. However, before starting work we strongly advise that you seek guidance from the local planning authority and building control, and to seek professional advice where appropriate.

What else do I need?

If your proposal is permissible under permitted development have a look at the council's Householder Design Guide SPD (January 2012) (PDF 1.2Mb). This supplementary planning document will act as ‘good practice’ guidance to help achieve the Council’s aim to promote high quality design and construction in Redbridge.

Please be aware that if your development is creating over 100 square metres of new floor area or new dwellings, it may be liable for a charge under the Redbridge Community Infrastructure Levy.

Other restrictions

You are also advised to check whether permitted development rights apply to your property - they may have been removed by an Article 4 Direction, or whether other consents are required because you live in a conservation area or a listed building.

Check out the Redbridge map if you're unsure as to whether you live in one of these areas.

Using this page on a mobile device

Those users who are visiting this page using an IOS or Android 4.1+ device will unfortunately not be unable to use this flash player interactive house. However, the same information is available on the Planning Portal's Common Projects webpage.

To understand why this interactive house does not work on IOS and Android 4.1+ devices, please visit the Planning Portal FAQ webpage .

Share this page:  Was this page helpful?