The Building Control department ensures that all construction work, whether it is an extension or alteration to an existing building or the construction of a new building, complies with the Building Regulations and other related legislation. This is done by checking plans of proposed work and also by inspecting the work on site.

You will usually need building regulations approval if you:

  • put up a new building
  • extend or alter an existing building
  • install services or fittings in a building, eg washing and sanitary facilities, hot water cylinders, foul water and rainwater drainage, replacement windows and any fuel burning appliances

The main purpose of the Building Regulations is to ensure the health and safety of people in and around buildings, the conservation of energy and fuel and the welfare and convenience of building users.

Apply online

Submit your application directly to us, along with your plans and supporting material, via our website using the online application form.

Benefits of our service

Our aim is to assist you in the Building Control process and to help ensure that the work is carried out in accordance with Building Regulations and other standards, using our technical knowledge and local expertise.

We offer a helpful and cost effective service which comprises of the following:

  • competitive rates and fees
  • qualified and experienced staff
  • initial assessment and acknowledgement within 3 days
  • full site inspections undertaken by helpful staff; same day inspections if booked before 10am
  • free pre-application advice service using extensive local knowledge
  • completion certificates issued
  • in-house efficient plan checking service, within three weeks.

Common projects

In this section you will find many common types of building works and the price of the application to our experienced in-house Building Control department. A discount may be available if you carry out work in conjunction with one and other. For further information please see our fee schedule webpage or contact Building Control for a quote.

Type of work Size (m2 - Metres Square)

Cost of application*

Domestic extension up to 30m2 £572.48

Domestic extensions or insulated detached outbuilding

(Insulated/heated detached outbuilding e.g. gym/playroom)

30m2 to 60m2 £709.87
  60m2 to 100m2 £870.16
Detached garage/store (un-insulated) up to 60m2 £366.38
Loft conversion up to 60m2 £572.48

Chimney breast removal or through lounge

An unheated detached garage or store up to 60m2 £284.68
Formation of a new WC/shower room/bathroom   £274.79
New property (flat or house)   £732.77

* Depending on the type of application, this is either a one off payment or split over two installments. In cases of a full plans application 25 per cent of the fee is paid upon receipt of the application and the remainder is invoiced once the works commence

Make an application

Advice on what type of application and what you need to submit can be found on the make an application webpage

The control of building standards is completely separate from the planning system and approval under the building regulations must not be confused with planning permission. Approval under the Building Regulations does not mean that planning permission has been given and vice versa.

Related pages and documents


Share this page:  Was this page helpful?