A free account on Redbridge i lets you get alerts about Council Tax, Planning, Bin collections and much more...
Below are photos of views showing some of the boroughs
buildings that have a particular historical interest.
If you would like to find out more about other places
of historical interest please visit
local studies and archives department for more information.
Ilford Hospital Chapel, c1140, Ilford.
Hidden behind red brick wall is one of Ilford‘s best kept
secrets. It is Redbridge’s oldest surviving building founded
in c1140 -1145 by Adelicia, an early abbess of Barking Abbey.
The building was extensively re built in the 1920s and now includes
former Almes Houses which are used as an accommodation.
The Chapel is open to public in various times throughout the
information on Ilford Hospital Chapel.
Valentines Mansion, 1696, Ilford.
Valentines Mansion is situated in Valentines Park in Ilford.
Built in 1696 for Lady Tillotson, the widow of the Archbishop of
Canterbury, it was a family house until Sarah Ingleby, its last
owner, died on 3 January 1906.
It became the property of Ilford Borough Council in 1912 and was
used as council offices until 1994.
It is owned by the London Borough of Redbridge and operated by
Vision - Redbridge Culture and Leisure Ltd, a local charitable
on Valentines Mansion.
Ilford Town Hall, 1901, Ilford
Originally built in 1901 as the Town Hall for new urban District of
It was later extended to include Ilford Central Library in 1926 and
further extended 1930 to include new council chamber and
It became Redbridge Town Hall in 1965 and remains as such of
the location of the Town Hall.
Wanstead Park, 17th century,
Wanstead House and grounds in 17th and 18th centuries was the
centre of local fashionable taste and elegance.
The second mansion on the site (1720-1723) was one of the first
Palladian style country houses in the country.
This mansion was demolished to pay debts of its owner William
Tylney Long .
The gardens survived today as Wanstead Park.
More information about Wanstead
St. Mary ‘s Church, C1787, Wanstead
St. Mary’s Parish Church, Overton Drive, Wanstead was rebuilt by
Thomas Hardwick between 1787-1790. It is the only grade 1 listed
building in Redbridge.
Its plain exterior is contrasted by its elaborate internal
decoration, especially Child family’s memorial.
This church replaced a medieval building, and was designed to be a
part of the nearby Palladian Wanstead House.
Information about St Mary's Church and the parish of
Crown Court Snaresbrook, 1841, Wanstead
The Snaresbrook court building was originally built for the Infant
Orphans’ Asylum in 1841.
The designers were Gilbert Scott and William Moffat.
The Asylum changes its name to the Royal Wanstead School in 1938
and was closed completely in 1971.
After extensive alterations, Crown Court moved in soon after.
of Snaresbrook Crown Court.
Eagle Pond and Public House, c.1600,
WansteadThe Eagle Hotel and public house was
originally built in the late 1600s as the ‘Spread
The present building was an important coaching inn on the main road
from London to Epping during the period 1780s and 1820s.
This together with the pond, created a popular place for visitors,
especially anglers during the 18th and 19th
The pond is still lined with fashionable early 19th
More information and view location of Eagle Pond.
Bancroft School, 1737, Woodford
Bancroft school was founded in 1737 and moved to the High Road
Woodford Wells’ site in 1889.
The new buildings were designed in Tudor style by Sir Arthur
View location of Bancroft
Harts House and grounds, 1816, Woodford
Built 1816 on the site of an earlier house the home of Richard
Warner (1713-1775). In 1989, the site was sold for
The main house and gardens including many 18th and 19th century
features and original planting has been retained.
The parts of the building which we used as a clinic in the 20th
centuries has been replaced by private housing.
The main historic house is being used as a private care home.
View location of Harts House
Churchill Statue, Woodford Green, 1959,
WoodfordBronze statue of Sir Winston Churchill on
Woodford Green was unveiled by Churchill himself on the 31 of
The 8 foot height statue by David McFall cost £5000 and was paid
for worldwide donations.
View the location of the
High Road (east side) Woodford Green.
There are no related pages or documents.
There are no related external links.