The Mayor of London’s Sports Facilities Fund has confirmed
Vision RCL has been successful in their application for
approximately £20,000 of funding for the conversion of one of
the disused tennis courts within Valentines Park (adjacent to Perth
Road), which will be converted into a Multi Use Games Area
(MUGA). This will include repairs to the surface and fencing where
necessary, the installation of two multi goals for basketball and
football, repainting of the surface with new lines and the
installation of a counter to track usage.
The park contains many features of historical and environmental
interest such as:
- the recently Heritage Lottery funded restored Mansion and
- prestigious mature trees
- ecologically important water bodies and
- wide expanses of grassland.
The park is important for local people and wildlife because of
its heritage landscape, local recreational resource, diversity
of habitats. Valentines has also maintained its Green Flag
status for 2013/14 and came 9th out of 1448 Green flag sites in the
People's Choice Award, online competition for Parks managed by Keep
Britain Tidy. For a full list of winners visit Green Flag Award
How to find Valentines Park
Valentines Park on our map.
Main entrance on Cranbrook Road, Ilford
Vehicle entrance Melbourne Road, Perth Road and Cranbrook
This award-winning park is next to Valentines
Mansion & Gardens, and was once the parkland to the house. It
offers a wide range of activities for all including:
What's on in the park
The park is open from 8am to dusk throughout the year.
For more details of exact closing times please download our
Parks Closing Times under related pages or alternatively
please check time boards at the entrance of each park.
From 1 October 2011 the following car parking charges apply:
- Up to 1 hour - 70p
- 1-2 hours - £1.30
- All day - £3.00
History of Valentines Park
The park was once the parkland of Valentines
Mansion a gentleman’s residence built in 1696. The landscape
reflects the changing tastes of the last three hundred years and
the main elements surviving today relate to the changes made to the
Mansion itself in the 1720s, the 1810s and the 1870s. During all
these periods, the house was in private ownership. The greatest
change was from 1912 when the whole estate became a public park and
began to be used by greater numbers of people than ever before.
The heritage value is of great importance in
terms of the survival of formal Rococo features in a suburban park
near the Central tube line, the M11 and the main London to Norfolk
If you have any further enquiries please contact Parks Development Team.