When do I register a birth?

If you have a baby in the London Borough of Redbridge then you will need to register the birth at Redbridge Register Office.

If you are a resident of Redbridge and have a baby in Queens Hospital in London Borough of Havering, then you are also able to register your baby's birth at Redbridge Register Office.

If you haven't registered a birth within 42 days contact us and we will discuss it with you.

Who can register the birth?

Either the mother or the father of the child may register, where they were married to each other at the time of the birth.

How do I register the birth?

You will need to contact the Customer Contact Centre who will make an appointment for you on the phone to register the birth at the Register Office.

Photo of a babyAt the Register Office

When registering the birth you will be asked for details about the baby and the parents which will go into the registration. It’s very important that these details are correct because the birth registration is a legal record and it’s difficult to correct mistakes later. So to make sure we get the information right we ask you to bring some documents with you that might be helpful. These can be:

  • the parents’ passports or driving licences
  • something with their addresses on
  • birth and marriage certificates
  • Deed Poll documents.
  • paperwork issued by the staff at the Maternity Ward stating the baby's time of birth and such like.


Don’t worry if you can’t find these documents easily. We can still register your baby’s birth without them – these documents will just be used as an aid for us to get the best registration we can for your baby.

Payment details

  • At the time of registration you will be given a 'short' birth certificate for free. 
  • If you would like a full birth certificate which includes the parent's names, then this will cost £4 upon registration. (This is required for a child's passport)
  • After the day of registration, the cost of a certificate will increase to £7 and later to £10 per certificate.

Where parents were not married to each other

If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the child's birth, the father's particulars may be entered in the register only in the following circumstances:

  • The mother and father go to the register office and sign the birth register together
  • where the father is unable to go to the register office with the mother, the father may make a declaration acknowledging his paternity which the mother must produce to the registrar (this form may be obtained from any registrar)
  • the mother may make a declaration acknowledging the father's paternity which the father must produce to the registrar (this form may be obtained from any registrar)
  • the mother and father have made a parental responsibility agreement or either has obtained an appropriate court order, the agreement or order should be produced to the registrar by either parent.

Other people who may register a birth

If the father and mother are unable to register the birth, the registrar will arrange for the most appropriate person to do so. This could be:

  • The occupier of the house or hospital where the child was born
  • A person who was present at the birth
  • A person who is responsible for the child

What if I want to change the child's name on the birth certificate

This may be possible within the first 12 months.  Please contact us to discuss this.

Contact us

Register Office

Share this page:  Was this page helpful?