Apply to start secondary school (year 7) for September 2016

Applications are for children with a birthday from 1 September 2004 to 31 August 2005.

Please be aware that if you live in Redbridge you must apply for a secondary school place through us even if the school is not in Redbridge. If you are not a Redbridge resident you need to apply via your own Council (even for a Redbridge school). For information about our secondary schools please check out our secondary schools page.

Supporting documents

If you are unable to attach your supporting documents at the time of making your eAdmissions application online, please scan supporting documents for proof of residence to

Special Educational Needs

For children with a Statement of Special Education Needs, you will need to speak to SEN about school admission by contacting Special Educational Needs Team.

What happens after you have applied

You will be sent an email during the evening of 1 March 2016 telling you the outcome of your application if you applied online. You must respond to the offer by Tuesday 15 March 2016 at the latest. Your offer is based on the address you have given; if you have changed address or if you change your address in the future you must let us know. Offers made on the basis of false information or addresses that can’t be verified will be withdrawn.

If an offer can be made to your child at one of the schools listed as your:

  • first preference on your application, you will receive this information by email during the evening of 1 March 2016. Some parents who do not have access to a computer will be posted their outcome by letter on 1 March 2016 by first class post.
  • If it is for a lower ranked school, second to sixth preferences or an alternative school, the email will confirm that you have been offered the highest possible school preference at this time: your child’s name will appear on the waiting lists of those schools ranked at a higher preference on your application; any schools ranked at a lower preference have been withdrawn automatically.

Accepting your offer

You should tell us, by logging into your eAdmissions account by Tuesday 15 March 2016, whether you accept this offer or not. If you do not accept the place offered you may confirm this to us in the same way and also tell us which school place you are accepting that was not on your application, evidence of this offer is required. If your circumstances change please let us know. Should you face any issues logging into eAdmissions to accept the school offer, please email with your child's reference number and the name of the school you are accepting.

School Admission Appeals

If you wish to appeal for the school you have not yet been offered, please read all the information provided on School Admissions Appeal.

In-Year Application & Transfer 15

Moving between secondary schools

If you are already in Year 7 or any other Secondary school (through to year 11) and wish to move to another Secondary school or remain on a school's waiting list, please complete the online In-Year application. The same form is to be completed for those children who have a date of birth between 1 September 2003 to 31 August 2004.

Registering for Redbridge 11 Plus selection test

View details on the 11 Plus test registration process

New - City Gates School (Year 7 only)

Admission Entry for 2016-17

City Gates School is a fully inclusive, comprehensive, state funded school with a distinctive Christian ethos, for boys and girls from age 4 -16. However, for 2016/17 we will only have children in Reception and Year 7. Children not in these year groups cannot be admitted in this academic year.

The School welcomes pupils from all faiths and those with none. Our aim at City Gates School is to ensure that our pupils make excellent progress and achieve their full potential in all aspects of life. We work together to develop a set of values and ways of behaving that stem from and express the Christian ethos of the school and we ask all parents to respect the Christian character of the school.

Open Evening Date:

Monday 19 October 2015 and Wednesday 21 October 2015

Location: Gloucester Room, Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford, IG1 1EA

To Apply

Please send your completed application form and SIF to: City Gates School, School Admissions Team, 316 High Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 1QW.

Sixth Form applications

All Redbridge schools have their own sixth form. If you are applying for sixth form you must contact the school directly to apply. If you would like to move from one sixth form to another school you must speak to your current school. Here is a list of our secondary schools.

Share this page:  Was this page helpful?