What is Supporting People?Supporting people - adult social services

Supporting People is a government programme that funds housing related support services for vulnerable adults to enable them to live as independently as possible in the community.

What is housing related support?

Housing related support are services that enable people to live independently in their own homes or in supported housing schemes. This can include help to:

  • manage finances or claim benefits 
  • training, employment and social skills
  • stay safe in your home
  • maintaining a home and tenancy
  • deal with other agencies
  • advice on home improvements, aids and adaptations.

Personal and domestic care (e.g washing, dressing or feeding) is not  included.

Who can get this support?

A variety of vulnerable adults can receive services funded by Supporting People. These include:

  • older people needing support
  • people with physical,sensory or learning disabilities
  • people with HIV/AIDS
  • people with mental health problems
  • young people at risk, teenage parents or people leaving care
  • ex-offenders
  • people who misuse drugs or alcohol
  • refugees
  • women at risk of domestic violence and
  • homeless people in need of support.

How is support provided?

Housing related support can be provided in a number of ways.

  • Accommodation-based - you live in accommodation at a certain address where you receive support from staff on site.
  • Floating support – support staff visit you where you already live to support you.
  • Home improvement agencies – a service which provides advice, support and practical assistance about repairs, improvements or adaptations to your home.  
  • Community alarms – personal alarm system that connects you by your phone to a support centre.

How to access services

  • Services can be accessed via a referral either from Housing Advice Centre, or your Care Coordinator.

Related pages and documents

Useful websites

Share this page:  Was this page helpful?